CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 13, 2007

Who am I?! What's in a Name?!


===================
MARTIN


Gender
: Masculine
Usage
: English, French, German, Scandinavian, Russian, Romanian, Czech, Slovak, Slovene, Hungarian, Bulgarian
Pronounced
: MAHR-tin (English, German), mar-TEN (French), MAWR-teen (Hungarian), mahr-TIN (Bulgarian)

From the Roman name Martinus, which was derived from Martis, the genitive case of the name of the Roman god Mars. Saint Martin of Tours was a 4th-century bishop who is the patron saint of France. According to legend, he came across a cold beggar in the middle of winter so he ripped his cloak in two and gave half of it to the beggar.

Five popes have borne this name. Two other influential bearers were Martin Luther, the theologian who began the Protestant Reformation in the 16th century, and more recently Martin Luther King, the American civil rights leader who fought for racial equality.

MIGUEL


Gender
: Masculine
Usage
: Spanish, Portuguese
Pronounced
: mee-GEL (Spanish, Portuguese)

Spanish and Portuguese form of Michael. A notable bearer of this name was Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, the Spanish novelist and poet who wrote 'Don Quixote'.
===================

Whenever I fill up official documents, I always use my two names. Before, I only write "Martin Arellano" but now I make it a habit to write "Martin Miguel Arellano". I like my name! Has a telenovela ring to it! How did I get it? If my memory serves me correctly, my mom wanted the name Michael for me. But my parents decided to use that as my nickname instead so I was baptized as Martin Miguel. Miguel since my dad worked for San Miguel Corporation at that time and Martin... Well, it sounded good with Miguel! I was called Michael during the first 2 to 3 years of my life. I started attending nursery at age 2, lo and behold, there were a lot of Michaels! So the grown ups decided to call me Martin from that point on.

Speaking of names... In this age of the Internet, lots of name generators have been set up. I don't know exactly how they work, what the respective formulas are, is it really calculated or purely random, and other stuff with regards to its algorithm! All I know is, they are fun! Some fit, some are cool, some are funny, and some where-the-hell-did-that-come-from! So I took the time looking for different name generators and compiled the names that I got. These generators usually ask for your full names, while some ask a few more questions like hometown. Once you hit that submit button, you're dubbed with a new name!

This first batch is from different well known movies, books or TV series:

Harry Potter Wizard: Harashio the Hunchback
Harry Potter House Elf: Abner
Star Wars: Arema Laque
Elvish: Amras Vardamir
Hobbit: Berilac Moss of Lake-By-Downs
Smurf: Litigious Smurf
Transformers: Electrostorm
Pokemon: Lickiser

By the way, the Pokemon name generator even gives a few more details: You live in the savannahs of Madagascar, and your diet consists mostly of donuts, Cherry Garcia and water. You can shoot kippers, throw salt spikes and lightning bolts. You have scaly skin and a fear of jet fuel. You can resist evil glances and shoot cosmic energy bolts. Your natural enemy is Starwad. The next batch is a list of names if ever I make a career move to music:

Rock Star: Simon Cage
Rap Star: P. Daddy
Pop Star: Rick Carter
Country Star: Russ Boggs
Reggae: Nyah Demus
Disc Jock: DJ Wonka

The last batch are just random name generators I found:

Clown: Goody Arles
Wrestler: Abdullah the Ace
Taxi Driver: Chodehakama Cleaver
Mafia: Headless Giorgio Gravano
Gangsta: Fine Ol' Stank Ho
Viking: Illugi the Foolhardy
Pirate: Broderick the Malformed
Vampire: Milosh Raven or Belatucadrus of Beijing
Goth: Pixie Corpse

If you ever get tired of your name, you can always generate a new one! Then you'll realize, "I like my name after all!" These are my names, what are yours?

0 comments: