CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Taking Public Transportation

It is encouraged to take public transport. It costs less and lessens traffic volume, thus faster trips to wherever you're planning to go. The downside... First is the weather because it can be scorching hot or you'll be blown away by the storm. There's pollution as vehicle emissions fill your lungs black! And of course the issue of security and safety, the potential of getting robbed or mugged.

Well, these are obvious reasons why I don't like taking public transport. What I'm about to list down are those little things that make the trip a little more irritating...

#5 People sleeping on you

Well, I haven't had a first hand experience with this. But if somebody I didn't know suddenly used my shoulder as their personal pillow, I'd drop that head in a heartbeat! I must admit I enjoy seeing people struggling to keep their posture most especially when the driver speeds up or hit the brakes. But I wouldn't want the potential to be a drool catcher of a stranger in my lifetime.

#4 People staring at you

Ever had that feeling that you know someone is staring at you? It's okay if little people (babies) did this because they like to look at beautiful things. I'd like to think it's their way of saying you look good since they still can't speak. What irritates me are people who scan you from head to toe. They stare at you for the duration of the trip, sometimes making disgusted faces, which makes you more conscious. What if there's something hanging from my nose?! What if there's something stuck between my teeth?! The tension will drive you crazy! I'm tempted to throw glitter on their faces so they'll have a hard time removing it! Now that would kill the tension.

#3 Talking loudly

There's nothing wrong with talking over the cellphone. That's why it is invented and that's why you own one! But please, don't chatter it up like everyone in the vehicle is part of the conversation. It's so loud that even if the one using the phone and I are at opposite ends of the train, I could still hear the phone person's voice. This also goes for conversations between people in the train. Come on people, please stop announcing to the world what you're talking about, stop the shouting match! And please, don't laugh out loud like there's no tomorrow!

#2 Standing room

This is more applicable to the train riders. Have the courtesy of letting people off before forcing yourself into the train. And if you happen to stand by the doors, kindly give way to those who are about to exit. Some person is trying to get off the train and here you are blocking the path for the fear of losing your spot to another person or the fear of stepping out for a moment and suddenly the doors will close. There are security personnel to make sure that the train doesn't speed off with you still standing by the doors. Another thing about standing room that irritates me... You see an old lady carrying 4 big plastic bags of her things, standing in the middle of the aisle, trying to keep her balance because she has nothing to hold on to then you look at the seats next to her and see that it is occupied by big and fit men wearing heavily tinted black shades and staring blankly as if they were playing in the World Poker Tour! Of course this is an exaggerated situation but it really irritates me to see men not offering their seats to the elderly and women. A little respect please!

#1 THE SMELL

Please don't use your perfume or cologne to take a bath. Too much of that good smell can turn it into the worst smell. Don't soak up on cologne, it burns the nostrils! Just dab enough to make the trip a little more comfortable for the others. And if you don't have perfume, please please, at least take a shower! When I took a jeepney ride to school around a year ago and sat beside the most foul smelling passenger I've ever smelled, I though nothing would top that. Not until a month ago... While I was on my way to review class, a man entered the train and stood in front of me, and (for the love of God!!!) he smelled really bad! If body odor had body odor, that was it! He personified FOUL! He shouldn't have been allowed to take the train. Heck, he should have been arrested!

I guess I should have included the situation of the train along EDSA during peak hours but it is something beyond our control. Train carts are packed like sardines which makes people prone to pickpockets and molesters (which is why I approve of having separate carts for men and women). And the smell of humanity is really bad and for the trip duration, oxygen is a scarce resource. Going back, I didn't include this because, unlike the 5 things I mentioned, we can't really solve that by changing our ways. It's a matter of population and as long as the population increases, the trains will keep on carrying the packed carts.

All I ask is a little courtesy. You're in public places so please have the decency to act accordingly.

0 comments: