CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Flooding Enforcement Frustration


Floods and traffic in this country can be so frustrating! And because of this overflowing frustration, I'm expecting this post to have no structure at all. I would be writing down my sentiments regarding these two topics without any proper train of thought. I usually take time to structure my posts, read related articles or other people's views but this time, it's all me! I know not everyone will agree with me, but hey, I have to get it off my chest. Here I go!

We only have two seasons, wet and dry... During the wet season, it's very difficult to get around. Why? Because of floods! Everywhere you go, the streets are like rivers. During this season, it would be cool and great to own a jetski instead of a scooter or a car! It would even be cooler to see a guy (or maybe have a first hand experience of) riding a jetski along EDSA, Katipunan, or maybe Espana. Why is it flooding? The drainage systems are inadequate! Some are clogged because of garbage while others are filled way more than its capacity. You would see manholes or drains spewing out water instead of taking it all down! Which leads me to the dry season. It's funny that some of the heavy traffic caused during the dry season is due to fixing drainage systems. It's one crazy cycle! The drainage system is given a makeover during the dry season... TRAFFIC! They're supposed to work now... Here comes the rain! Flood, TRAFFIC ONCE AGAIN!! Rain goes away... There's an assessment that the drainage system needs to be fixed... Work on the system, again... TRAFFIC!!! Rain... Flood... TRAFFIC!!!! Hope my point got across...

What do gremlins and cars in this country have in common? When they get wet, they multiply! Every time it rains, the car volume becomes at least two times as many as it was before it started raining! I left the house and it wasn't raining yet. I was cruising along then suddenly, the rain fell like there was no tomorrow! This went on for a good 20 mins, then a sudden stop. A stop not just with the rain, but with the traffic flow as well! I was stuck in traffic for 5 hours during a trip that would have taken me 20 mins! The "express"ways turned into parking lots. At one time, I turned off my engine and was stuck in the same spot for over an hour. I could have gone to a nearby restaurant, eat lunch, go back and still see my car where I left it.

Why is it that whenever traffic slows down, you would usually see no reason why it slowed down in the first place? This is most common along EDSA, most especially before the flyover in front of the EDSA Shrine. It slows down starting in front of SM Megamall then suddenly you see a clear road before going up the flyover just in front of Poveda. There are no accidents, no people going on or off public transport, no nothing! The road just suddenly opens up for you to speed away. This has got to be the most mysterious traffic phenomenon here in this country!

The one thing that really gets my blood boiling... STUPID LAW ENFORCERS! You cannot enforce the law if YOU DON'T HAVE A BRAIN! During a trip to Batangas, we passed by a mall to buy stuff that we need for the trip to the beach. It was still early, and the mall won't open for another 30 mins. Being unfamiliar with the place, we approached a guard and asked where we can park the van and where the entrance is. The guard looked like he had difficulty understanding us... He pointed to a spot so we stayed there and he also pointed to an entrance. Now the area where we parked didn't look like a parking lot and the entrance he pointed out had deliveries being carted into it. Then the same guard approached us, "Sir, di pwede magpark dito (Sir, you can't park here)" WHAT?! You were the one who pointed out that spot to us! And the entrance you pointed out, that was for employees and deliveries! WE ARE HERE TO BUY! TO BUY! STUPIDO! It turned out the parking lot and entrance was on the other side of the mall. Are there more of these kinds of law enforcers? Sadly and infuriatingly, yes! I'd like to gather all of them up, lock them in a room and beat them up with a 2 by 2! GROW A BRAIN DAMMEET!!!!

Another thing that ticks me off... Traffic enforcers WOULD KEEP THEIR EYE ON APPREHENDING supposed traffic violators RATHER THAN AID IN TRAFFIC FLOW! These guys are like vultures! In an intersection, instead of staying in a spot to make sure the cars don't cross when the light turns from green to yellow to red, they stay on the other side and wait for their prey to fall victim to the "beating the red light" violation. They even stop the car in the middle of the intersection, causing traffic flow disruption, instead of properly talking to the motorist on the side of the road. When you get caught, all of them talk to you, leaving no one to attend to the traffic situation. If there's one word to describe these enforcers it's INCONSISTENT! They are only present in times and in places that benefit them. Sightings are abundant during holidays or traffic coding hours and only in places with lots of cars passing through. Once, my brother was caught for "reckless swerving" and now, that area have lots of cars swerving left and right with no enforcers in sight! WHATDAHEY?! And once you get caught, they would tell you all about the hassle and expenses of paying for the ticket, getting back your license and the "need to attend a seminar". Why? To make you realize that it's easier and cheaper to just slip a few hundred pesos under your license! In this country, you only get caught because of luck, not because you violated a law.

I'm sure lots of other people have their stories to tell. I think I still have some but I'll just recall them some other time. I've unloaded enough, I feel better already! One last thing, cars are not the only things that have something in common with gremlins in this country... WE HAVE GREMLINS FOR ENFORCERS!!!

0 comments: